Ads 468x60px

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Birth Story - Part Four

With my previous deliveries the pushing part was the best part. No pain. So when my midwife told me that I was fully dilated I was excited to start pushing. I had gotten out of the tub because I didn't really feel like I had the leverage that I needed to effectively push out the baby, and in hindsight I had probably decided to go on the bed as that is what I was used to. (muscle memory).
Pushing wasn't painless this time, however, and that really surprised me.
With every push I could still feel my lower back spasm, and so instead of letting go completely between each push, I held it and kept the tension until the next.
I pushed hard and could feel movement. My midwives commented on how I had my bag of waters bulging before the baby's head. Suddenly with a loud *pop* the waters exploded and hit my head midwife full in the face! I could hear the others joking about having a shower and how much water had come away. I kept my focus however, thinking about my walls and carpet, and continued to push.
The next push and I was crowning, the next came his head. Shoulders with the next push and he appeared at 9:52pm, after 4 or 5 pushes.
The relief that I experienced once he came out was immense. I had never felt anything like it and my back stopped hurting immediately.
I held him close and kissed his little head. We hung out for 30 mins waiting for the placenta and he started showing signs of wanting to nurse.
I wanted to see if he could self latch, as in the breast crawl video, and was delighted when he did.
My placenta was birthed shortly after and we skyped with my husbands mother as she was in the U.S. and unable to attend. (my mother and sister were present).
After everyone had gone home my sister sent me a copy of my birth story from her perspective, and it is the most powerful thing I have ever read. She talks about how inspiring it was for her, and how she wants to birth naturally. She talks about the power of the female body and how birth is a process and not a medical procedure.
So while I felt that this birth was my toughest, my little sister put it all in perspective for me.
Pain with Purpose; with a wonderful gift at the end.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

What a great story, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I do like ur article~!!!..................................................

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Followers

Networked Blogs